Thursday, July 30, 2009

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

I've read all of Carrie's other books, so when I saw this at the library I picked it up immediately.

She's had a tough adult life; and her childhood wasn't a whole lot easier. I know most people believe that being wealthy, not to mention famous, is the key to happiness. I happen to think it's harder to be happy when you're both.

Carrie's had some intense shock therapy and it has seriously affected her memory, but her sense of humor is pretty intact. This book is a very quick read; mostly full of anecdotes about her family--many of which she doesn't recall. She says her life is more like a movie to her than her life, and I find that rather sad.

She's had a very tough time with depression and being bipolar. But she's trying her best to be a good mother to her daughter and to make sure she sees her grow up. The book is wry and funny; but there's an undercurrent of sadness that runs through it. I recommend it if you're a fan of Carrie's or a fan of old Hollywood. And since it will only take a couple of hours to read it, it's a great book for an afternoon by the pool or the beach.