Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Fare thee well, New York. I hope to return soon.

My partner and I have sold our co-op to take refuge in New Jersey while waiting for the real estate market to settle down. I hate to leave New York, but we had the opportunity to capture a gain, and we try to use our analytical minds in decisions like these, rather than our hearts. Not that there's anything wrong with New Jersey, of course. We really enjoy being down the shore. But we both like a more lively night life, so New York is much more in sync with our needs.

I saw the following on the subway last night and it seemed so perfect that I wanted to share it. It's by one of my favorite New Yorkers, E.B. White.


There are roughly three New Yorks.

There is, first, the New York of the man or woman who was born here, who takes the city for granted and accepts its size and its turbulence as natural and inevitable.

Second, there is the New York of the commuter — the city that is devoured by locusts each day and spat out each night.

Third, there is the New York of the person who was born somewhere else and came to New York in quest of something.

Commuters give the city its tidal restlessness; natives give it solidity and continuity; but the settlers give it passion.

Susan from Jersey